Monday, April 21, 2008

A Week in Lessons Learned

I've been trying to upload pictures and write a post on Write Here! all day and having problems, so thought I'd multi-task and write a quick post on here (hope Blogger doesn't crash and wipe out any work done, it doesn't seem to want to save, but I often have problems with pics.)

I've been struggling for one reason or another (all good!) to keep up with my posting schedule for the past week ... on all five blogs. :o(

Though I have managed to keep on top of the housework! :o)

Why is it that I can keep on top of my housework OR on top of writing, but rarely both? But I've been a very busy bee elsewhere, with things that are associated with writing ...

Student Parent Website

I had a very productive week last week, in fact.

I had a positive meeting with the Mature Student Adviser at Hull University about my Student Parent website. This is still in the planning phase, another learning curve I am beginning at the very beginning. I am unsure how to get a domain name, how to design and build a website and I still have to get to grips with HTML. I've heard Dreamweaver mentioned a lot, but I can't afford to invest in expensive software so will just have to teach myself.

The MSA couldn't help with any of that, but she did offer some useful ideas to consider in the content planning, for example to have information relevant from the very first thought of returning to education: "OK. So I want to get back into education. Now what?" A discussion about this triggered off ideas about information students need after they have graduated.

A Whole New Language

So, lots more to work on there. I have an outline in paper and am busy collecting useful references and resources. I found something recently about HTML, in the form of very basic tutorials (aimed at schools, I think) and I must find it, in my huge list of disorganised favourites, so I can put a link on here for anyone else interested.

Meeting Writers

I also attended a Writers' Cafe event at the local literary festival last week, and met some great local writers. I chatted with writers in the local Writing Circle and collected a membership form. Something else I have been meaning to do for ages ... now I just have to fill it in and send it.

I've also spent some time social networking online! I love how people share interesting thoughts and useful links on Twitter (just wish I could reciprocate!) but will write more about them in my Write Here! post.

I am still working on Gmail too. I'll write an update post later this week, when I've had more of a chance to play around with it.

Article One

I haven't forgotten my article on Blue Bins and recycling, either. It has been postponed in basic draft state until an open media day at the local recycling plant ... to which I have been invited! Although I haven't heard directly from Mr B, he passed on my details to colleagues, one of whom sent the "ops note" for the event. Being such a newbie, I had never even heard of an ops note!

I also received a personal invitation by email from another of Mr B's colleagues, with a lovely note about how it would be "a good opportunity for me to meet other freelance journalists and the local media." She also pointed out that Mr B and she would be there on the day to answer any questions and that I should let her know if she could help in the meantime.

So my honesty was a good move in the end. I'm glad it was, because even if Mr B had decided I was an irrelevant nuisance, I would still have advocated telling the truth.

[In fact, having spoken to a friend who knows Mr B very well, I don't think he would ever think that about anyone. I have heard very good things about him, a young man filled with passion for his job and the environment, but a man who has a great deal of time for people too.]

So.

Next Step

To try and get myself in the mindset of a 'journalist' and come up with some good questions before the open day! (Any tips from experienced journalists much appreciated ... in fact, any tips from anyone, I have a great deal to learn here!)

I have recently begun thinking of myself as a writer, but a journalist? I think I need to start with finding out what a journalist really is, or more specifically, what distinguishes journalistic writing. A whole new post, as even journalism is made up of numerous sub-types, I guess.

Lessons Learned

1. HTML scares me.

(But I'm getting really into stepping out of my comfort zone, so that won't put me off learning it!)

2. Honesty is always the best policy.

3. People are usually glad to help if you ask them.

4. Social Networking rocks! I find the possibilities truly exciting.

Just one example of many this past week: Chris Garrett posted a request for info on Twitter this week. It was info about a subject I was likely to come across while researching something for Towards 2011 so I noted a couple of starting points Chris suggested and soon realised after looking at them, that anything I learned would be directly useful on Towards 2011 at some point.

So doing someone a favour had a postive effect on me in two ways: it always feels good to help someone out and I now have a long list of references for a future post on Towards 2011.

5. There is so much to learn! This is a very good thing because the day we stop learning is the day we die. Life is a learning curve.

The more I learn about, the more things I discover that I want to learn about!

Lessons to Learn

1. How to read and write HTML.

2. How to get a domain name and build a website.

3. How not to get too distracted by Twitter et al (though Twitter has been the main culprit recently!)

4. How I can offer useful stuff in return on Twitter.

5. How to be a journalist!

:o)

Hey! Finding this was quicker than I thought ... here's the link to the W3Schools' HTML tutorials.

:o)

No comments: