Friday, April 4, 2008

Freelance Writing: Finding a Subject


"Write what you know!"

The common saying applies, at least as a starting point, when freelance writing. I don't expect it would be a good idea to begin by writing an article (for example) about a subject you know little or nothing about.

Expand on your knowledge and experience

Choosing a subject you feel comfortable with is a good start. A subject about which you already have a sound general knowledge and/or personal experience will be easier (and quicker) to write. Better still, choosing a subject you find interesting will mean any further research needed will be a treat.

From subject to topic

A broad subject will contain many sub-subjects and infinite topics to choose from. From a starting point subject of Parenting for example, sub-subjects will include Parenting Teens, Discipline and Education (among many many more!) The sub-subject of Parenting Teens for example, can then be broken down into topics including things like Behaviour, Communication or Drugs and Alcohol.

Mind map your direction

A great way to break a subject down and clarify your direction is to draw a mind map. I'll do a whole post on mind mapping at some point as I think it's a fantastic resource and life strategy. But a simple explanation is:

Draw a small circle in the middle of a blank page (A3 is best as it gives you plenty of room) and write one word in it. (Try and stick to just one word, but don't stress if you need to use more, as in the following example.) This might be a starting subject (Green Living), a sub-subject (Recycling) or a topic (Blue Bins.)

Add thick tapering lines (like branches) radiating out from this central concept, above each of which you can write another word (again, try to stick to just one word.) From Blue Bins for example, you might have words like:

Why?
Items
What next?
Council Scheme

Then add further 'branches' off each of the main ones. Add words to these and then continue the process, adding more branches and more words:

Items -
- Which items can go in a Blue Bin
- Which items can't go in a Blue Bin

Which items can go in a Blue Bin
- Paper
- Plastic
- Metal

Using colour and images is very helpful in mind mapping, plus it makes a mindmap another enjoyable form of creativity.

(I'll dig out my first article mind map and post it over the weekend ... a picture is always worth a thousand words!)

Specific article ideas

A mind map will probably trigger off specific ideas for articles. But there are a number of other useful ways to find ideas:

Online Search Engines
Article Databases
Print Publications
The International, National or Local News
Blogs
Libraries
Writers' Forums

Random ideas

Sometimes, totally random ideas appear out of the blue.

I was sitting in the dark waiting for a late train at the tiny local station recently. I hadn't taken my phone, there was nobody to talk to or anything to do other than sit and enjoy the peace and quiet. For some bizarre reason, I had formed an article in my head by the time my friend arrived, about how a man's dating behaviour can be related to the way in which he drives a car! For example, slow and excessively cautious (Sunday Driver) or fast, loud and arrogant (Boy Racer.)

Random, because it's not the sort of thing I'm writing about at all (although dating has been a recent interest, I've been totally sidetracked!) and bizarre, because I have no idea where the thought came from.

Notebooks

I didn't have anywhere to write my idea, which might have been a problem, had I not had a friend to tell as we walked home (where I immediately made a few notes.)

Notebooks are great for storing your random ideas and questions, I rarely leave the house without one. I also usually have my phone, to make memos or to take pictures.

You never know when a flash of inspiration might arrive!

Inspiration boxes

Cut out and keep in files, folders or boxes, anything you find in newspapers or magazines that inspires you or has information relevant to your subject, or is written in a style you admire. If you're ever stuck for ideas, a browse through your inspiration collection will trigger plenty of ideas.

:o)

No comments: